The Besom in Witney began in November 2005. Its primary aim is to serve all the churches in our local community here at the edge of the Cotswolds.
Like all Besoms, our heart is to be a bridge between those who wish to give their time, money, skills or things and those in need. As a service to the giver we aim to be most effective by helping people to give of their best, out of love, and in so doing understanding that they are helping those in genuine need in their locality.
At the Besom in Witney you can give:
things, time and skills, money.
We accept good quality furniture items and white goods. Because the people we give your things to are very vulnerable and unlikely to be able to afford replacements, things should be in excellent condition and we’ll need to ask you questions to be sure that we can place them appropriately for you.
Many of us have smaller things to give. We can put smaller things together to make up house packs for people who have been homeless or are moving out of supported accommodation. A house pack generally includes bedding, towels, crockery, cutlery, a kettle, saucepans, a toaster, glasses, curtains, rugs, lamps and lampshades etc.
We can also pass on baby items such as cots, stair gates, highchairs, toys, children’s play equipment etc to families requiring help.
We accept gifts of non-perishable food year round to help local people with food parcels. Food gifts are necessary while people are waiting for benefits to come through, or ill health or a family crisis means there isn’t enough money for food. A store cupboard box or a few days of meals can really help someone to bridge that gap.
Giving time or skills through Besom is great fun and very rewarding. Let us know what you’d like to do and we’ll try and match your abilities, talents and gifts of time with something suitable.
We are often asked for ideas on how to give time – it really is entirely up to you, but you could:
- join a delivery team to take food, household items or furniture to a recipient
- carry out minor household DIY jobs for a single mother
- decorate a room with a group of friends
- carry out minor sewing repairs or wash and iron bedding and towels for a house pack
- gardening regularly for someone who is elderly or unwell, or as a one off project with a group of friends
- cleaning regularly for an elderly person or someone who is ill, or as a one off project with a group of friends
- writing thank you letters or helping us with admin and assessment visits
- come and pray with us – we meet regularly throughout the year
If you wish to give money we will ask you to tell us how you would like it spent e.g.,
- through the Besom in Witney for a specific purpose such as buying paint for a decorating project, to buy something new for a recipient or to fund something more ambitious!
- to the Besom in Witney to help with operating expenses
We work closely with professional link workers such as social workers, housing support workers, health visitors and other local charities to help us identify suitable recipients. If you are a professional link worker and would like to find out more about our services, we’d be happy to hear from you.
Getting In Touch
The easiest way to get in touch is to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call us on 07549 842789
We have collection and delivery days throughout the year and meet to pray weekly most Friday mornings. If you’d like to join us to pray or have something you’d like to give, please contact us.