The Besom exists to form a bridge between the church and its community. It takes that which someone wants to give, whether it is time, money or things, and finds someone who genuinely needs it.
A service to people who have something to give
The emphasis is on making it easy for people to give, taking what they have to offer and matching that to any need that is identified by social workers/ health professionals.
It enables effective giving, where the giver can see the difference their giving makes, it encourages involved giving and is tailored to the givers choices. We do not ask people to “help out”, but ask people to give out of love. We build bridges of trust based on long-term relationships.
The Besom in Sheffield started about eighteen months ago following a visit by members of St Chads to Holy Trinity Brompton for a Besom Training Conference.
Over the last year we have seen how the growth of Besom depends not on us but on God. We now want to see The Besom in Sheffield spreading to and bring a resource for churches all over Sheffield.
How you can be involved
There are many ways to get involved through:
- Giving good quality things (new or nearly new)
- Decorating, cleaning or gardening as a group (just tell us what you would like to do, how many you are and we will arrange a project for you).
- Helping on the van collections and deliveries.
- Sorting, washing and ironing clothes
- Sorting toys and household items
- Offering DIY skills
- Helping with the operations of Besom in Sheffield to plan and prepare activities.
We’d love to hear from you. Please call The Besom in Sheffield on 07875 950170.