Launched in March 2006, The Besom in Runnymede aims to serve members and groups from churches in Egham, Englefield Green, Staines, Virginia Water, Old Windsor, Ashford, Chertsey, Sunbury and Addlestone.
Runnymede at surface level appears to be an affluent area, but there are many who are vulnerable, and in need through situations such as isolation, poverty, ill health, homelessness and domestic violence.
The Besom in Runnymede helps Christians to make a difference. This can be done through practical projects such as gardening, decorating, cleaning or through giving good quality items such as, furniture, white goods, clothes, kitchen equipment, groceries, and other household items. Our van goes out on Mondays, Tuesday and Thursday’s to collect and deliver such items. There are also occasional van runs on a Saturday.
Since our launch, items which have been given include, clothes, wardrobes, beds and bedding, washing machines, cookers, fridges, TV’s, dining tables, chairs, microwaves, sofas, starter packs (crockery, cutlery, kettles and toaster), groceries (non perishable, dried and tinned items, tea, coffee etc), computer tables, bicycles and places on children’s holiday camps!
Groups of people (home groups, ladies/men’s groups, friends) get involved in decorating, cleaning and gardening for those in need. Recipients include, the elderly, disabled or those returning home from hospital, single parent families, those escaping domestic violence, to other vulnerable individuals. Not only are homes or gardens transformed when a group gives a day, but there is a tangible difference to the quality of lives for all of those involved (both givers and recipients)!
How can you be involved?
- Giving good quality things (new or as new)
- Decorating, cleaning or gardening as a group (just tell us what you would like to do, how many you are and we will arrange a project for you).
- Helping on the van, collections and deliveries (let us know when you are available and we will arrange it!)
- Sorting, washing and ironing clothes
- Sorting toys and household items
- Making up starter packs
- Offering DIY skills
- Helping with the operations of The Besom in Runnymede to plan and prepare activities.
- Becoming a prayer partner
We’d love to hear from you. Please call The Besom in Runnymede on 01784 470387 or email us at email@example.com