The Besom in Norwich has been operating in Norwich since 2003. In 2008, 13 churches in and around Norwich offered help and 22 individuals gave time to pray, help with van deliveries and on decorating projects. Over £4000 was donated to the charity from ten different sources.
There are lots of ways that members and groups from Norwich churches can get involved by giving time, money or things to make a real, long-term difference to those in need.
How you can be involved:
Giving Time as a Group
The Besom provides a wide variety of opportunities for people to reach out into the community and help others in practical ways such as decorating or gardening. Working together on a practical task is a great way to get to know each other better.
Giving Time as an Individual
The Besom in Norwich is set up to make it easy for people to give time in whatever way is best for them. Opportunities include:
- Visiting potential recipients and helping them assess their needs. A short visit by the Besom team may be the only contact a person receives that day.
- Delivery and collection - spend time helping to deliver donated items and see people’s lives changed.
- Collecting good quality items given away by local shops, hotels and local businesses; Last year one church member encouraged his colleagues to donate their company Christmas turkeys to people in need.
- Joining our team of regular prayers and planners either weekly, monthly or as a one-off.
- Being a church representative for Besom, encouraging Christians and arranging items for delivery
- Mending furniture or altering curtains to make them exactly right for the person who receives them
- Offering practical skills: plumbing, carpentry, DIY etc.
Giving Things as a Group
Some church groups have enjoyed compiling gift packs for people in need. These include: a kitchen start up kit for people moving into a new home. a baby bath filled with items for a new baby, a rucksack filled with essentials for people living rough or just released from prison. These are proving a popular way for churches to give to mark a festival such as Harvest, Easter or Christmas.
Giving Things as an Individual
If you have good quality items in pristine condition that you wish to give away, The Besom in Norwich would love to receive them. We can pass them on to vulnerable people who really need them. These include, single parents, families or individuals living in poverty, victims of domestic violence, asylum seekers and refugees. Furniture must have a fire label. We can test electrical appliances but we do not accept washing machines, cookers or microwaves.
The Besom funds grassroots projects across the UK and overseas in areas of need specified by donors. 100% of the money given goes to those in need. Recent donations to the Besom in Norwich have provided, cookers, washing machines, bedding and small essential items for people in need in our city.
How you can be involved
If you would like us to help you or your small group undertake a time-giving project, or if you would like to arrange collection of good quality items that you want to give, if you would like to help us pray and plan for the work of Besom, or if you would like more information about giving money, e-mail us on email@example.com.
Company Number: 06071768
Registered Charity Number: 1118499